The new school year is just around the corner. This time of year is filled with excitement, hope and often a whole bunch of nerves!
As you may or may not know, I used to be a teacher. I was a good teacher, someone who went above and beyond to be creative and innovative. I made it my mission to connect with my students and make sure they felt important and valued in our classroom community. The needs of my students always came first. I was a good teacher until I reached burnout and could no longer serve my students from a place of abundance and love. My efforts became forced and tense and no longer benefited me or my students. I had reached my limit and had to walk away for my own health and wellbeing.
Looking back, I now see that I could have taken some preventive measures to chip away at the burnout. I could have put my own care first, so that I was the best version of myself for those I was serving.
I want educators all over the world to have the best year yet. To help support you, I’ve taken some time to create a resource for you to help implement some preventive self-care reminders.
I’ve created this Love Note to Self Kit full of everything you need to create little reminders for yourself throughout the year.
How it works:
- Download the Love Sum: Note to Self Bundle.
- Take a peek at your schedule and block off 2 hours to do this activity. It may take you less time, it may take you more, but 2 hours is a safe bet! Put it on your calendar so that you make it a priority. Remember, taking these steps now will save you time and stress in the future. This is important. You are worth it.
- During your 2 hour session with the most important person in the world (you!), you will complete the following:
- Print out four (or more!) of the Love Note templaste and choose four (or more!) of your favorite writing prompts. Write the prompt at the top of each of the Love Notes.
- Set a timer for 10 minutes and begin the first prompt. Do this for the remaining prompts.
- Take time to get creative. Decorate your letter, card, envelope or whatever vehicle you’re using to seal these special Notes to Self.
- Seal up each of your letters, self address and stamp them. Now, give them to someone organized and responsible and them to mail one of these to you each quarter of the school year (or when they feel you could use a little love).
- When you open them up later in the year, remember that this is a gift to you from your past self. It’s a reminder that you are loved and that you deserve to be cared for throughout the year. In order to give your best to this world, you need to be your best self and that begins with self-care.
Have a wonderful love-filled year!
P.S. Special thanks to some amazing teachers out there, Alyson and Alissa, for your input on this!